Free Shipping on orders over $50 & FREE RETURNS

Kaehler Free Shipping & Returns
Kaehler Free Shipping & Returns

Close [x]

Travel Adapters Guide

Packing guide

*Check out our list of countries here to find the adapter that matches your place of stay!*


In an increasingly electronic age everyone should recognize the importance of ensuring that your electronics work overseas. Whether it be accessing important documents off your phone or using a hairdryer to get ready in the morning, you’ll find having the right travel adapters and converter will be life-saving to the process. There are two possible electronic accessories that you will need to investigate owning prior to departure. Read on to see which you need.


plug adapter - Allows your appliance’s plug to match the outlet of the chosen country.

converter - converts charge of device so that it works with the voltage of the country you are visiting.

Plug Adapters

The vast majority of items need an adapter, since most modern technology simply needs our plug to fit into their outlet. While laptops, cellphones, and other personal electronic items are now dual voltage and have the capacity to adapt to both U.S. and international voltage standards, you will still need to plug it in. These dual voltage appliances are going to require an adapter plug to correctly fit into international outlets. You should recognize that some countries’ adapters are more common than others. Also, make sure to know whether or not you need a grounded adapter.


Most modern technology does not need a converter. However, items that are used as a heat source often need a converter so they can function properly. Without a converter, these items can be damaged and even cause a  fire. A converter’s job is to modify the electrical current to fit a particular country’s standards- different countries will vary in voltage standards. When leaving the U.S. you will want a converter that lowers your appliances voltage. The U.S. usually operates at 110-120 volts while other countries may operate at 220-240 volts. Converters should only be used for short spans of time. A converter is not meant to support a long-term power source.

Items That Cannot Be Converted

Here are some of the items that you cannot attach your converter to:

  • straighteners

  • steam irons

  • Cpap machines

  • most home appliances (lamp, mini fridge, space heater, blender, etc.)

These item’s heat settings are too high to be safely converted, so you will have to buy a dual voltage version of your item or invest in your visiting country’s model while abroad.

Checking If A Device Is Dual-Voltage

An easy way to check if your device is dual voltage is to read the voltage (usually listed on the tag or the device itself). If there is a range, example: 120-240 volts, then your item is dual voltage. If it shows a single number, it implies your appliance is not dual voltage and therefore needs a converter.