Tumi Buyer's Guide
Tumi has been manufacturing the finest bags, cases, and accessories since 1975, with the company's commitment to quality and innovation keeping it at the forefront of the premium luggage industry. In fact, Tumi's attention to detail and product design have become firm favorites among both business travelers and holidaymakers alike, striking a fine balance between form and function to ensure durability and usability on any journey. Reliable, robust, and manufactured to exacting standards, each Tumi case is made for a life on the road, featuring a carefully selected range of materials that help define the brand's unique aesthetic while keeping your belongings safe and organized. Read on to discover each of the collections within the Tumi range or find the perfect companion for your next trip in our store.
Main Tumi Collections
More about Tumi
Tumi Collections Luggage Review
Tumi offers a broad range of large luggage pieces that are designed to meet the needs of all types of traveler. These include a variety of intelligent organizational and security features that help make traveling that little bit easier. However, the Tumi name is synonymous, not only with larger check-in cases, but also with highly portable carry-ons, desirable briefcases and business portfolios, backpacks, duffels, handbags, purses and other accessories. Each line features its own distinctive style that allows you to build a comprehensive collection of matching pieces. Alternatively, the sheer variety of different bags, cases, and accessories allows you to easily mix-and-match to create the ideal collection of luggage for your specific travel needs. Learn about the different collections below and compare the individual items and features most suited to you.
Tumi Alpha 2 Luggage Review
- Comprehensive packing support features (garment sleeve, compression straps, int. and ext. pockets
- Durafold protection for corners
- Most durable and hardwearing collection from Tumi (frame and fabric exterior)
- Largest range of bag styles
- Premium features make for added weight
- Smallest range of colors (only a few models are available outside of black)
Price Range: $625 - $1,175
The Tumi Alpha 2 line is truly top of the pile within the range of collections from Tumi, and it features a fully framed exterior that adds an extra layer of fabric protection. Additionally, you will benefit from front zip pockets and Tumi's add-a-bag feature that allows you to hook your personal bag or carry-on onto the front of your luggage piece, freeing up your arms. A full garment sleeve is offered on everything from carry-ons to checked luggage, making it ideal for business travel as well as casual getaways.
Tumi Alpha Bravo Luggage Review
- Ideal as an additional carry-on bag for items that require instant access
- Intelligent organizational features for laptops, electronic devices, and important documents
- Manufactured from a range of rugged materials that also look great
- Only suitable for the shortest trips but can easily be combined with another case or bag
- Wheeled options are not as maneuverable as other Tumi cases
- Little protection offered for fragile items
Price range: $125 - 800
The Tumi Alpha Bravo collection features a range of men's backpacks, briefcases, holdalls, duffels, and packing cases that are ideal as add-a-bag options with larger Tumi cases. In fact, the best Tumi Alpha Bravo for your needs will depend on how you plan to combine your luggage on your next trip. Look out for smart organizational features that will give you easy access to items such as laptops and travel documents while on the move. Additionally, the desirable finish of these bags makes them a firm favorite among business travelers.
Tumi Voyageur Luggage Review
- Selection of vibrant colors that allow you to mix-and-match styles
- Variety of pouches, totes, backpacks, and carry-ons suitable for any journey
- Intelligent design and practical storage solutions in an elegant form
- Smaller cases and bags should be combined with other cases on longer trips
- White bags and cases will show dirt and grime more than black
- Limited protection for valuable and electronic devices
Price range: $48 - 645
Tumi Voyager has the best cases and bags for women looking to add real style to their luggage collection. Within the Tumi Voyager collection, a broad range of bag styles is available in a variety of shades to help you add a dash of color to your next journey. So, whether you need a new cosmetics case or an international carry-on, there is a Tumi Voyager for you. However, the aesthetic appeal of these bags and cases is not the only selling point, and many examples within the collection offer thoughtful organizational features that make traveling easier than ever.
Tumi Tegra Lite Luggage Review
- Durafold corner protection
- Tie-down straps and hook garment section for formal clothes
- Includes the same handle and wheels from the premium collections but at lower cost
- Woven Tegris fabric offers more protection than the Tumi Vapor
- Does not feature full garment sleeve as seen in the Alpha 2
- Front pocket only featured on some items within the collection
- No add-a-bag option
Price Range: $595 - $995
The Tumi Tegra Lite Max collection stands out thanks to its beautifully woven hardshell frame. The level of protection offered by these cases falls somewhere between the Alpha 2 and the V3, balancing durability and lightweight maneuverability. There is a separate zippered compartment with a hanger hook to store formal wear. This helps to keep the overall weight of these cases down by getting rid of any additional garment sleeve. Unlike most rigid suitcases, the Tegra Lite Max comes with a front pocket for easy accessibility and a zippered expansion for additional capacity when returning with more than you left with.
Tumi V3 Luggage Review
- Lightest collection
- Efficient packing with 3 zip pockets and compression straps
- Offers both the handle and the wheels found within the premium collections, but at a lower price point
- Less layers in the exterior frame than the Alpha 2 and the Tegra Lite
- No garment sleeve for formal clothing
- Does not include add-a-bag feature
Price range: $525 - $625
The Tumi V3 collection keeps things streamlined, well packed and well protected wherever it is taken. However, it is the lightest of all the collections because of its polypropylene framing system. Don't be fooled by the lightweight construction though, as there are layers of protection concealed beneath the outer shell. If you are going for the lightest bag and don't require any packing facilities for your formal wear, this bag should be at the top of your list. Choose from a range of attractive colors, all at Tumi's most affordable price point!
Tumi Harrison Backpack & Bags Review
- Designed with device management in mind, featuring a variety of convenient storage options
- Crafted from premium leather and nylon for strength and style
- Ideal for business travelers and commuters
- Suitable for shorter trips (or longer trips when combined with other cases)
- Only available in black
- Leather finishes require special care
Price range: $275 - 474
The Tumi Harrison collection brings together a selection of backpacks, portfolio briefs, and crossbody bags that are ideal for business travelers, or anyone who requires a bag that champions organization and functionality. Designed with electronic devices in mind, you will find a range of special features; including padded laptop compartments, tablet pockets, card pockets and other storage solutions within this collection. Finally, a Tumi Harrison review would not be complete without a nod to the subtle and elegant aesthetic of this desirable range.
Tumi Sinclair Luggage Review
- Elegant accessories and add-a-bag options to be combined with other Tumi Cases
- Equally at home on long trips or for a day-to-day usage
- RFID protective lining to stop identity theft
- Small capacities only suited to smaller items and documents
- Offers only limited protection for electronic devices and other fragile items
Price range: $48 - 434
The Tumi Sinclair collection is the ideal travel companion for women who already have a go-to case for both domestic and international journeys. Including a range of travel wallets, tote bags, and backpacks, the Sinclair line seamlessly compliments larger cases and carry-ons, helping to keep electronic devices and important documents such as passports at the ready as you travel. Finally, a review of the Tumi Sinclair line would not be complete without mentioning the durable canvas and leather materials used in construction that add both comfort and a touch of elegance.
Tumi Larkin Luggage Review
- Sophisticated design ideal for business travel when combined with other cases
- Intelligent storage solutions for a variety of items including electronic devices
- Padded compartments and durable fabrics offer protection for your belongings
- Only suitable as carry-on luggage due to size
- Protective features not as robust as other Tumi collections
- Recessed wheels are not as flexible as those found in other Tumi collections
Price range: $295 - 925
The best Tumi Larkin bag is the one that compliments your existing Tumi luggage. Put simply, the sophisticated and glamorous designs of the Tumi Larkin collection serve as an ideal addition to any of the larger Tumi suitcases. From Springdale Phone Wallet with convenient credit card storage to the Jess Short Trip Expandable 4-Wheel Packing case with suitor section, the Larkin collection brings an additional element of form and functionality to your packing. This ensures that your electronic devices and documents will be easily to hand during your journey.
Tumi 19 Degree Luggage Review
- Extremely durable and lightweight thanks to the heavy-duty polycarbonate construction
- Double reinforced wheels ensure easy maneuverability however large the case
- Variety of vibrant colors with a distinctive grooved finish
- Hard-sided luggage doesn't offer much "squeeze space" when compared to soft-sided
- Eye-catching design may not be to everyone's taste
Price range: $444 - 518
The Tumi 19 collection offers regular travelers peace of mind thanks to its focus on strength, durability, and security. Featuring a polycarbonate construction as tested in the automotive industry, these cases can withstand high pressures and temperatures and will take plenty of abuse, even in the most challenging conditions. Double reinforced wheels and a 3-stop pull handle keep you on the move with integrated TSA locks helping to deter unauthorized access. The best Tumi 19 cases also include a range of organizational features to ensure you always have everything to hand.
Today, travel accessories are an important addition to any traveler's luggage collection. Tumi offers a carefully selected range designed to enhance your packing and increase convenience while on the move. From simple USB cables, battery packs and, international power adapters within the mobile accessories range, to passport wallets, writing pads, shoe bags and utility packs within the business accessories collection, Tumi ensures you have everything you need for journeys of any type or duration. Additionally, each of these accessories provides travelers with the same levels of quality and reliability found within the wider Tumi collections.
To complement your luggage, bags, and accessories, Tumi has crafted a range of desirable wallets that display the same commitment to form and function. Including a range of billfolds, tri-fold wallets, travel wallets, and card cases manufactured from attractive and durable materials such as leather and ballistic nylon, these wallets and purses are equally at home while you are traveling as they are on a day-to-day basis. Innovative organizational and security features, such as the Tumi ID Lock™, help to keep your money, cards and documents both easy to hand and safe from digital fraud. Additionally, wallet ranges such as the Monaco feature a desirable textured finish that is among Tumi's most sophisticated and eye-catching.
Tumi Size Guide
Choosing the right luggage for your next trip often depends on the size of case that you require. Tumi offers a broad range of different cases suitable for any type of journey, from the largest trunks and cases to the smallest cosmetic bags and accessories. So, whether you need a sleek and slim line backpack to compliment your existing carry-on, or you need a fully-loaded international case for the whole family, Tumi has sizes that fit the bill.
Recognizing the way you regularly travel and the length of your trip will help you identify the size of case or bag that best suits your needs. Additionally, airline restrictions will dictate an upper allowance that should also be factored into the equation. With this in mind, you should consider the capacities as listed below and weigh up the size of your Tumi case accordingly.Domestic/Economy - Cabin IATA:20L/34L
Domestic/First Class - Cabin non-IATA: 45L
Intercontinental/Economy - Check in: 64L/82L/85L
Intercontinental/First Class - Check in: 82L/85L/89L/98L/100L
Once you've decided on the capacity of your next case, use our Tumi size chart to compare each collection and identify one of the many cases that is most suitable.
|Cabin IATA||Cabin non-IATA||Check in Small||Check in Large|
|Vapor 3||4 Wheel Carry-On Briefcase||Expandable Continental Carry-On||International Expandable Carry-On||Expandable Extended Trip Packing Case|
|Tegra Lite Max||4 Wheel Briefcase||Continental Expandable Carry-On||Medium Trip Expandable Packing Case||Large Trip Expandable Packing Case|
|Alpha 2||Front Lid Short Trip Packing Case||Front-Lid Continental Carry-On||Medium Trip Expandable 4 Wheeled Packing Case||Extended Trip 31" Expandable 4 Wheel Packing Case|
|19||Polycarbonate International Carry-On||Polycarbonate Continental Carry-On||Polycarbonate Continental Carry-On||Polycarbonate Extended Trip Packing Case|
|Alpha Bravo||Leather Kirtland International Expandable Carry-On||Henderson Short Trip Expandable Packing Case|
|Larkin||Shannon Compact Carry-On||Alex Continental Expandable 4-Wheel Carry-On|
|Voyageur||Oslo 4-Wheel Carry-On|
Tumi MaterialsThe perfect piece of luggage not only offers superior protection to your belongings but also looks great even after many journeys. To achieve this balance, Tumi employs a variety of materials within the manufacture of their cases and bags to ensure durability and aesthetic appeal. Some of Tumi's most commonly used materials include:
- Ballistic Nylon - Most commonly used in soft-sided luggage but still offers excellent protection for your belongings. Additionally, ballistic nylon is easily cleaned and does not show scratches thanks to its textured weave.
- Polycarbonate - Used within hard-sided luggage for the ultimate in protective casing. Polycarbonate luggage from Tumi boasts some truly notable finishes and stylish designs, however, scratches can be difficult to repair and may compromise the aesthetic appeal of your case.
- Tegris - As a material unique to Tumi cases, Tegris is something of a revelation. Similar to polycarbonate in its strength and ballistic nylon in its weave, Tegris offers the best of both worlds and is found in some of Tumi's most celebrated luggage.
- Leather - Used in Tumi's most desirable cases and bags, leather is—and always will make—for a beautiful piece of luggage. When cared for correctly, Tumi leather bags and cases will last you many years, however, it doesn't offer the same kind of protection as ballistic nylon or polycarbonate.
How much is Tumi Luggage?
Tumi prices its luggage across a spectrum to ensure that there is always something within your budget. However, it is worth noting that Tumi is considered a premium luggage manufacturer that only employs the very best materials within its intelligent and functional designs. With this in mind, you might ask the question "is Tumi worth the price?". However, here at Kaehler, we believe that high-quality luggage pays for itself over time and, when compared to inferior brands and cheap imitations, you will find that a Tumi case or bag will last much longer and will provide you with truly innovative ways to travel in style.
Each bag and case goes through a rigorous testing process to ensure it meets the high standard set by Tumi. This testing is designed to uphold the quality of each piece of luggage and reflect Tumi's prices. Additionally, Tumi offers a five-year warranty on each of its cases to give you peace of mind when you are traveling. Details of which can be found here.
Luggage Similar to Tumi Cases
Tumi is definitely a go-to brand for regular travelers and anyone who requires the very highest standards from their luggage. However, if you cannot find exactly what you are looking for within these collections, then it may be worth considering other brands that offer cases and bags similar to Tumi. Manufactures that craft luggage similar to Tumi include:
Tumi's enduring quality and smart features weave a consistent thread between these collections, which means you really can't go wrong whichever of their lines you choose. However, there is a clear balance between durability and maneuverability which may help you make a decision depending on how often and how far you travel. Additionally, optional extras, such as the add-a-bag feature and separate compartments for formal wear may help sway business users.
One of the most attractive features of the Tumi catalog is the opportunity to expand your luggage with a variety of bags, organizational extras, and accessories. With this in mind, it is advisable to look further than the flagship carry-ons and check-in pieces and ascertain exactly which add-ons best suit your travel needs. By doing so, you will be able to build a luggage collection that is both versatile, and that still offers all of the Tumi quality you have come to expect.
Whichever features you need for your specific requirements, we hope our guide has made your choice easier. However, if you need any further information on Tumi products or any other pieces of luggage found on our website, then please feel free to contact the Kaehler team and one of our luggage experts will be happy to advise you further.